Our commitment to sustainability includes our buildings, our facilities and the way we conduct day-to-day operations. It also extends to the people we serve--our surrounding communities, the environment from which we derive our resources, and helping our employees live greener lives.
We are dedicated to sustaining our planet’s resources and believe that through leadership and innovation we can play an important role in reducing humanity’s global footprint. What better way to change tomorrow than by becoming more effective stewards of the environment? That’s why efforts are underway across the company to build a sustainable world and to live smarter today to preserve our planet for the future.
In 1 year, Astellas diverted 41% of waste from landfill, conserving:
Astellas was recently recognized in these industry-leading indices:
Green Features at Astellas’ Americas Headquarters in Northbrook, Illinois
Our headquarters for the Americas in Northbrook, Illinois achieved LEED Gold certification by U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) for its environmental features, including:
- Use of a hybrid geothermal field, which uses the earth as a heat source in the winter or heat sink in the summer to reduce energy costs by more than 20 percent
- More than 77 percent of wood was grown in managed forests certified by the Forest Stewardship Council
- Use of 35 percent recycled materials and 45 percent locally manufactured materials, plus the recycling of more than 85 percent of waste during construction
- Improved indoor air quality, with building flush-out using outdoor air to remove the majority of pollutant emissions
- Providing outdoor air more than 30 percent above the mandated standard
- Use of high-efficiency heating and air-conditioning equipment and plumbing fixtures to reduce water consumption
- Indoor secured bicycle storage and showering facilities
- More than 70 percent of the facility’s parking under cover to reduce heat island
- Landscape irrigation from retained storm water