Living SMART™ is the Astellas approach to preparing communities today for what can happen tomorrow. The Living SMART framework brings together the strength of the charitable Astellas USA Foundation and our Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) work to find the areas where we can make the most impact to improve lives. Astellas USA Foundation and Astellas CSR collaborate to create a positive impact on society.
While CSR at Astellas and Astellas USA Foundation are distinct entities, they both share the common goal of improving communities today to be better equipped for tomorrow through three overarching focus areas:
How do we affect change in these focus areas? In the following sections of this report, we have included information about our approach to our work and the progress we made in 2016.
“We opened our brand new office in Colombia in early 2017. From the start, we are building Corporate Social Responsibility into our work here. As Astellas, it is important for us to be integrated into the community here, and we’re looking forward to finding new opportunities in Colombia to do just that.”
— Sandra Cifuentes, general manager, International Operations, Astellas Farma Colombia
We use the Living SMART approach to focus and guide our CSR and Foundation efforts. At Astellas, our community-focused work is about sustainability: we are working today to prepare communities for tomorrow. The Living SMART platform focuses our partner support across these three pillars by engaging employees and giving them the opportunity to expand our impact with Astellas’ and Astellas USA Foundation’s community partners.
Through Living SMART, Astellas USA Foundation and CSR collaborate to enable our Astellas employees to volunteer at the programs that Astellas USA Foundation supports.
Astellas gives full-time employees five paid days annually to volunteer, a unique opportunity across our industry. Employees contribute their time to charitable organizations they’re passionate about.
In 2016, we expanded our impact. By uniting our focus under the pillars of Living SMART, we have worked to connect our volunteering activities with our funded programs. We are getting involved in our communities beyond funding programs, and creating dynamic opportunities to give back.
- Health and Well-Being: Astellas employees in Toronto volunteered with Camp Trillium, a childhood cancer support center and Astellas USA Foundation partner, as part of Changing Tomorrow Day 2016. The employees helped renovate the property to prepare the camp for patients and their families to enjoy in the upcoming season.
- Science WoRx: Students in often-forgotten rural school districts will soon be engaged in hands-on STEM activities as a part of Astellas USA Foundation’s Rural Spark ProjectTM. School districts in rural America struggle to attract and retain vital STEM teachers to lead science education, but thanks to Astellas USA Foundation, their students will be able to engage in hands-on, real-world learning opportunities in the classroom beginning in fall 2017.
Underscoring our commitment to STEM education, Astellas employees signed up through Astellas USA Foundation’s Science WoRx Mentor’s program to work with students in partnership with grantees of the Foundation. This year, 20 Astellas employees supported the Chicago Zoological Society — also a Science WoRx partner — by serving as judges for science fairs at the Brookfield Zoo.
- Disaster Response: The American Red Cross and Americares provide life-saving relief — and thanks in part to Astellas and Astellas USA Foundation, are supporting those in need. In 2016, an Astellas-sponsored Emergency Response Vehicle (ERV) provided to the American Red Cross participated in the relief effort for Hurricane Matthew — and delivered more than 25,000 meals to those affected. Astellas USA Foundation provided funding for Americares to provide medications to patients as part of their hurricane disaster response. Supporting disaster relief efforts for communities impacted by Hurricane Matthew is an example of how Astellas CSR and Astellas USA Foundation work together.
There are many unmet needs in our communities. Through Living SMART, we are able to focus our efforts to deliver the most impact and change.
Awards and Recognition
We are proud of our employees and their contributions to the community and appreciate the external recognition we have received:
- 2017’s Best Work Places for Giving Back — Astellas was recognized as one of 2017’s 50 Best Companies for Giving Back in the United States across all industries by consulting firm Great Place to Work© and Fortune magazine. We ranked 25 out of 50 on this list.
- FTSE4Good — FTSE4Good named Astellas for the fifth consecutive year to the Index of Socially Responsible Companies. The index evaluates companies on 14 unique criteria related to environmental, social and governance business practices.
- Corporate Knights — For the second year, Corporate Knights named Astellas one of its 2017 Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations in the World. In fact, we moved up 10 spots in the index. Corporate Knights assesses data from nearly 5,000 publicly traded companies with a market capitalization in excess of $US 2 billion, comparing them against their peers on a suite of key performance indicators.
2016 data is from Fiscal Year 2016 at Astellas Americas, which was from April 1, 2016 – March 31, 2017.