Our greatest asset at Astellas is our employees.
We know how important it is to foster connections between our employees. That’s why we created Astellas Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) to introduce, coordinate and support employees with shared interests, backgrounds and goals.
Astellas partnered with nonprofit, Stop Hunger Now, to package and ship 15,000 meals that feed people in need throughout the world. In 2015, Astellas ERGs contributed 376 total hours of community service towards the Changing Tomorrow Day volunteer goal.
Current Astellas ERGs include:
- Hosted extensive 2016 Black History Month (BHM) activities, including live webcast and face-to-face meeting with professional athlete and motivational speaker, Chip Humphrey.
- Members shared their dreams and inspirations during Black History Month. Profiles of employees and the person that most inspired them were highlighted throughout the Astellas headquarters in Northbrook, Illinois, and drove engagement and awareness.
- Hosted Diwali ‘Festival of Lights’ and Lunar New Year celebrations, two key initiatives promoting cultural awareness and attended by nearly 1,000 employees.
- Partnered with nonprofit, Stop Hunger Now, to package and ship 15,000 meals that feed people in need throughout the world. In 2015, the ERG contributed 273 total hours of community service towards the Changing Tomorrow Day volunteer goal.
- Launched Hispanic mentorship program
- Held celebration event during Hispanic Heritage Month
LGBTQ Together as One (TAO)
- Joined the TAO float for 46th annual Chicago LGBTQ Pride Parade
- Hosted Pride Month event with guest speakers Jane and James Clementi of the Tyler Clementi Foundation to engage employees in their #Day1 campaign that aims to stop bullying in schools, workplaces and faith communities.
- Celebrated Veterans Day by announcing a new Heroes Garden to beautify the Astellas Northbrook corporate offices; included a commemorative brick program enabling Astellas employees to honor a military service member by purchasing a brick for the garden.
People Living with Disabilities
- Set up a pilot program with Aspiritech, a company that employs high functioning adults with autism/Asperger’s syndrome to conduct software testing.
- Outsourced 300 hours where participants delivered on time with innovative problem solving.
- Hosted webinars, workshops and presentations by powerful women, such as the first female fighter pilot Carey Lohrenz; The Honorable Cherie Bustos, Congresswomen from Illinois 17th District; and a leadership development workshop by Julia Tang Peters, author of Pivot Points: Five Decisions Every Successful Leader Must Make.
Watch ERG chairs discuss the value that the ERGs provide to both employees and the organization in the video below:
We believe people work better with fewer worries, so we are committed to taking steps to help our employees balance their work and personal lives. We want them to be at their best, and we know their lives happen outside of office hours. We ensure employees can be with their families when they need to and that they can take time off for illnesses.
At Astellas, we know our employees can’t make a difference in their communities if they don’t have personal time to care for themselves and their families. That’s why we offer them the following benefits:
- Flexible work schedules and telecommuting opportunities
- Paid family care leaves
- A dedicated healthcare concierge resource and full healthcare coverage for themselves, spouses or domestic partners and their children
- Health programs such as an onsite fitness center, nutrition and chronic medical illness counseling
- New-mother lactation counseling, private pumping rooms, and milk refrigeration and delivery for traveling moms
- Sponsored childcare and backup childcare
- Guidance for college selection, financing and application support
- Geriatric resources for aging parents and support resources for caregivers
- Adoption expense reimbursement including embryo adoption
Astellas has been recognized for its commitment to employees:
- 2015 Forbes Magazine America’s Best Employers
- 2015 PR News Top Places to Work in PR
- 2015 Working Mother 100 Best Companies
- Hispanic Network Magazine Top STEM Employers
- Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index 2015 & 2016
- PR News CSR Awards
- Professional Women’s Magazine Top Employers for Women in STEM
Click here to learn about other ways Astellas has been recognized.
Click here to learn more about Astellas company culture.